What is it? Employee participation, or co-determination for staff, refers to activities and measures taken to get employees to participate together to achieve a common goal.
Instead of the manager making all the decisions and the employees following his or her orders, the group as a whole makes the decisions. Participation in decision-making is becoming increasingly popular and is part of what is known as employee empowerment.
BENEFITS OF EMPLOYEE PARTICIPATION:
- Proactive community – Employees who feel that their opinions are valued and actually acted upon feel happier in the workplace and are more motivated to work for the success of the company.
- Improve communication – When employees can effectively share their thoughts and suggestions about the company, they are also more likely to point out flaws in a workflow and come up with new, innovative ways to improve things.
- Personal health – Stress is lowered by applying participation in organisations. This is because they can express uncertainties regarding their performance and business changes.
- Productivity and quality – Employee productivity improves in a number of ways, including less stress, a more efficient work environment and motivation and dedication resulting from a safe working environment.
EMPLOYEE PARTICIPATION METHODS:
- Continuous improvement teams – training, skills development, cross-training programs, educational benefits, and courses
- Formal quality of work life programs – measured through accuracy, completion of work, communication, attendance, safety, decision-making, time management, judgement, job knowledge, iniciative and attitude
- Quality control circles – these circles continue to meet on a regular basis to identify potential problems and get them resolved as efficiently as possible
- Labour management problem solving effects – complying with laws and regulations, growth and development, developing leaders, confict resolution
- Naming competition for new projects or initiatives
- Establish a direct connection between higher and lower management and the shop floor
- Provide employees with a fun working environment – team buildings, decorate offices, celebrate small wins, peer to peer feedback, casual Fridays.
It is not always easy to increase employee engagement in the workplace, but your company must make an effort. Changing your culture with the passage of time can be a wise decision. Employee engagement is one such option. So, involve your employees and develop a good workplace culture for greater growth and success.
WOULD YOU LIKE TO BE INSPIRED?
Then come spend the day with fellow Women in Business. Receive lots of teachings, advice, tips for success, motivation and yes, lots of inspiration!
Join our upcoming workshop on the 22^nd of February 2023 in Hermanus for more tips to live your Best Business Life
For any guidance or advice to create better Employee Participation in your business, contact me today, and let’s get the ball rolling. Welcome!
082 745 6779 / firstname.lastname@example.org