Dear Business Partner,
Will it be a boozy affair featuring powerful cocktails, a packed dance floor and a party atmosphere or will it be a tempered conference room with no alcohol and brutal conversations? Attending an office party or another work-related social event can be tricky. Never forget that it’s a workplace event while having fun with your co-workers.
These tips will help you have a good time without checking your professional reputation at the door.
- Don’t drink too much, as alcohol lowers your inhibitions and alters your judgement. Your actions under those conditions could cause you to become the subject of workplace gossip or worse, unemployed.
- It’s not a singles bar. An office party gives you the chance to become acquainted with your colleagues on a whole other level. Don’t think about flirting, even if it is entirely innocent. Acting in a sexually provocative manner can make your colleagues lose respect for you, at worst, it can end with a claim of sexual harassment against you.
- Say YES to the party dress/suit. This is where your colleagues will be able to see your true style personality. So go ahead and throw your usual work attire back in your closet and wear something festive to showcase who you have been hiding in that boring “corporate/workwear attire”.
- Keep your guard up, because your boss is watching and your co-workers are too. Refrain from showing a side of yourself that could be embarrassing or cause their opinion of you to change for the worst.
- Put your phone away. Employers throw parties to reward their workers and give them time to socialize with each other. Focus on the here and now and make connections with colleagues in all departments.
- Don’t bring uninvited guests. Never assume it’s okay to bring a plus one without asking first since this could anger your boss and embarrass your guest if he or she feels unwanted. When allowed – avoid bringing someone who might exhibit inappropriate behaviour as this will reflect poorly on you.
Let us know what rules you will implement this year. Enjoy!
082 745 6779 / firstname.lastname@example.org
Would you like to be inspired? Then come spend the day with fellow Women in Business. Receive lots of teachings, advice, tips for success, motivation and yes, lots of inspiration!
YOU ARE INVITED TO THE LIVING YOUR BEST BUSINESS LIFE WORKSHOP ON 22 February 2023
Workshop for all Women In Business (Hermanus)